Do we have to pay consignment note for every container?

The consignment note charge covers everything uplifted at any one visit to site. If we pick up one or ten containers of hazardous waste it would all be documented on one consignment note meaning only one charge, even if we uplift lamps, WEEE and Batteries – on the same occasion.

What type of batteries can go in what container?

Batteries under the Battery Directive are classified as Portable, Automotive or Industrial batteries and Electrical Waste can provide container solutions for all chemistries.

Can we mix batteries?

Depending upon the chemistries to be disposed of, there is the possibility of being able to mix some batteries with others following packaging instructions that will be sent out with the relevant container(s). Then use Battery Flow chart that is being developed constantly.

What WEEE items can go in our container?

As long as the items physically fit into the container you’ve chosen, Electrical Waste accept all items that are covered by the WEEE Directive. All we would ask is not to put Large Domestic Appliances Fridges, Freezers and other such large appliances in the container as they are hard to insert and remove from the container at our AATF. Alternatively, we can provide a quote to pick these up on either pallets or loosely. Care should be taken to present hazardous WEEE in such a fashion that it can be easily identified in order to consign it in accordance with the Hazardous Waste Regulations.

Can we give you loose items?

Yes, with smaller items, we can bring out a transportation device (container or cage) to safely transport the items back to one of our AATF’s. The larger items can be lifted loosely or palletised. We would quote for the preferred method accordingly.

Are the lamps ok in cardboard?

We do accept some packaging in the container but ask for it to be minimised as much as possible as the customer will be able to dispose of more lamps making our service even more economical.

The lamps are broken/crushed. Can you take them away?

Electrical Waste do accept genuine accidental breakages but would not accept a customer simply breaking/crushing the lamps to volume reduce the waste. Our Approved Authorised Treatment Facilities are EPR permitted and able to accept whole or broken lamps for full recycling. Our plant and machinery at each site is also capable of recycling broken lamps.

Can we mix lamps and WEEE?

Lamps and WEEE must be segregated for storage on site prior to collection and recycling. Electrical Waste can provide solutions for both streams in house under one audit trail.

What are the costs of different containers?

Electrical Waste have a container range for WEEE, Batteries and Fluorescent Tubes and Lamps. The costs are customer specific and quotes can be produced upon request.

Can you offer us the containers FOC?

Unfortunately not, all our costs are transparent and we do have costs to source the containers, these costs also cover the on-going maintenance and also that Electrical waste hold exchange stock when swapping assets out.

Do we recycle household waste?

We provide competitive, high quality services to Designated Collection Facilities / Civic Amenity (DCF’s / CA) sites. We can provide DCF Service proposals with assistance from our Operations Team. We do not collect from private householders but there are a number of options available to a private householder as follows:

  1. Electrical Waste can direct you to our nearest collection point which includes a wide network of Electrical Wholesalers.
  2. Your local council can direct you to the nearest local Civic Amenity/Hazardous Waste site.
  3. If a retailer / distributor is providing you with new equipment they may operate a WEEE take back service.
  4. You can contact the manufacturer of the product to be disposed of and ask them for further advice about its disposal.
Do we have to join a WEEE Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS)?

This is dependent upon whether you fit the criteria of a “Producer” under the WEEE Directive. If you manufacture, import or re-brand products you may have to register with a PCS. WERCS can help. E-mail stewart@electricalwaste.com the following details:

  1. Company name
  2. Contact name and number
  3. The type/categories of EEE and the estimated tonnages that you place on the UK market annually.
  4. Indication of company turnover. WERCS will be able to offer a package for WEEE compliance and obviously we would also be able to offer our recycling services.
What if there are a small amount of genuine breakages in a load?

The lamp fragments should be swept up, double bagged and sealed. Anyone doing this should use appropriate PPE. Place the bag into the Electrical Waste container where we will deal with it from there when it is collected by Electrical Waste. If the lamps have been broken/crushed on purpose:

  1. Electrical Waste is licensed to receive whole items where possible and we provide containers for the safe storage and transportation of this hazardous waste stream.
  2. Changing the physical state of the lamps by breaking/crushing them without appropriate licence/authorisation is illegal.
  3. Broken/Crushed lamps pose a massive risk to health and the environment due to the very toxic nature of mercury and its volatility in air and water.
  4. EWRG can help going forward by providing the correct containers for the safe storage, transportation and treatment of whole gas discharge lamps in line with the WEEE Directive and Hazardous Waste Regulations.

Want to get compliant? Get In Touch, we'll do the rest!

Simply visit your local store, call us today on 01388 721 000, or fill in the contact form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.